Monday, September 25, 2017

Looking for Love

I recently spoke with an attractive young woman, still single as she approaches forty, who shared some of her negative thoughts about Internet dating. Apparently people don't always turn out to be true to their online descriptions. (Imagine that!)

My generation had its own version of online dating with "personal ads" placed in magazines and newspapers read by the so-called intelligentsia. I answered more than a few of those, finding them an easy way to meet interesting people from other walks of life. Unlike today's dating sites, where an alluring photo is the primary motivation for getting together, the old personal ads were all about crafting a description that implied brains, wit and a decent income. Once you found someone that fit the bill, a phone call or two gave you a glimpse of personality. If all went well, an in-person meeting was arranged.

The worst one I ever had was with a psychiatrist who sounded great on the phone. We talked for an hour or more. He was funny, another of my requirements, and since I was prone to insanity I figured dating a shrink would save me a lot of money in the long run. I had clarified that I only dated men 5'10" or taller, and he assured me he was well above that, describing himself as "towering." When we met in person I was appalled: The top of his head barely reached my chin. (Even worse, from that vantage point I could see his bald spot.)

My advice to young people looking for a mate these days is to forget about Tinder and eHarmony and Match.com. and do it the old-fashioned way: Live your life. You're bound to bump into someone you can stand who also can stand you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...