Monday, February 13, 2017

Modern Love


Tomorrow is designated on our calendar to be Valentine's Day. This means you are supposed to show your loved ones just how much you love them by throwing money away on senseless trinkets, and the more you throw away the greater is your love.

Yesterday, in the gourmet, all-natural, gluten-free, non-GMO, all-organic, tree-hugging, trendy little market near my house, a nice young man, in his late twenties perhaps, standing behind me at the checkout, was bemoaning the fact that he had not yet gotten anything for his girlfriend. He was clearly in a panic, groaning, "I'm running out of time!" I pointed out the handy Valentine's display cleverly set up by the shopkeeper right next to the cash register and said to the guy, "Hey, you're in luck, you can get her something from here."

After much deliberation the guy settled on a fairly large solid chocolate, heart-shaped lollipop with pink frosting and tied with a festive red bow ($3.49) and a tall canister of chocolate-peppermint tea ($6.79) decorated with hearts. "She loves tea," he explained when I made a face at that decision. Since by then he was actively seeking my input, I nodded in the direction of a heart-shaped, cherry-red beeswax candle. "That's the best thing here," I said. Now it was his turn to make a face. "Too much money," he said. I agreed it was pricey at $17.99. Luckily there was a much smaller version of the same candle for only $7.99, and he added that to his other purchases. Looking guilty, he explained, "I'm going to get her a card too. I was hoping to keep it all under 25 bucks."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...