Thursday, November 3, 2011

Survivor Does Wall Street

Don't believe everything you read. I learned this important lesson anew just moments ago when I opened up today's Wall Street Journal and saw their version of this letter I sent them a week ago: "Jaqueline Siegel and her husband David, whose shameless and self-indulgent lifestyle was profiled in your paper ("The Wild Ride of the 1%" Review, Oct. 22-23), represent the very worst of the human condition. They and their kind are the problem, not the banks or the politicians or Congress. Reading about their decision to build a 90,000 square-foot, single-family home at a cost of $50 million because, as Mr. Siegel said, "I couldn't spend all the money I was making," sent shivers down my spine. The fact that they they are passing on their greed to their eight children is an even more horrifying thought. One wonders what would happen if the Siegels were magically transported to the heart of the Occupy Wall Street protest and left there to explain themselves--now that's a reality TV show I would happily watch!"
 
Harsh words indeed, and I meant every one of them!  But here is what appeared in the paper today:
David and Jaqueline Siegel, whose shameless and self-indulgent lifestyle was profiled in   "The Wild Ride of the 1% " (Review, Oct. 22), are the problem, not the banks or the politicians or Congress. Reading about their decision to build a 90,000-square-foot, single-family home at a cost of $50 million because, as Mr. Siegel says, "I couldn't spend all the money I was making," sent shivers down my spine.
Gone are their eight children who surely will inherit their greed and spread it, procreating with the offspring of other greedy folks. Gone is the statement that they represent the very worst of the human condition, a fact that should never be forgotten by anyone who envies their lot. Worst of all, gone is one great idea for a reality show pitting the Siegels against the "Occupy Wall Street" protesters. I'd watch that--wouldn't you?


5 comments:

  1. While I do not think it is responsible for someone to build that large of a house, who is going to make the decision of what is too big? 1,500 sq ft? To some, that may be excessive? Where do you stop?????? If this couple wished to burn their money instead of buying fuel oil, is that correct or is it our right to cast shame upon them of what they do with THEIR money? Why do people buy SUVs? I think it is overkill? But we make them and buy them. A regular, no frills car has 4 wheels and get you from point A to B. Why do we need SUVs? Clearly a waste of fossil fuel. We drive WAY over the speed limit, and I have no say on how that affects me because of the actions of others driving way too fast and could cause me injury. Not to say about the waste of fossil fuel when you drive over 60 mpg. If someone wants to have 8 kids and spoil them, how is that any different than a number of parents of 1 or 2 kids? There are a lot of spoiled/self absorbed kids all around us. So what is so different about them if they want to pass THEIR money down to THEIR kids? Many families this do all around the world? Since this is the lovely USA, who is going to be on that government committee to make these decisions? This is a moral issue about what this family did, and this country surely lacks a good deal of that.

    GL

    ReplyDelete
  2. GL: I agree with you, within reason. But surely you would admit that it is not within reason to spend 50 million to house just 10 people...... Maybe we could have a cap on these things, just like other things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just because someone spends a lot of money on something doesn't make it bad. Why go to an Ivy League School? They don't teach you any better than an in-state university? If you have the will, there is a way. Why do people purchase "Coach" purses? Is a $300+ purse better than my purse for $30? Does it have alarm systems in it? Does it stop someone from making stupid purchases? That can be considered wasteful in some circles. If you put a ceiling price on something, who makes those determinations? Evidently, the rich do not think they spent too much, so if you have the 99% of America make these determinations, is that fair. I have to say, when I hear about someone winning the lottery, is the first thing they "what charity should I donate to", or buying a Ford Focus or a 5th wheel camper for himself or herself. Many do exactly what they are complaining about the rich doing and purchase things that are overpriced or unnecessary because "they can". Therefore, while I think it is morally irresponsible to spend that much money on a house unless a small country is residing in it, it is not my money. Furthermore, I would not appreciate ANYONE telling me how to spend MY money that I worked MY butt off to get (or was given).

    GL

    ReplyDelete
  4. deneb says: I am more worried about the newspaper editing your letter to the editor. that can't be right. they have no right to "change" your letter do they??????

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not called "Letters to the Editor" for nothing!

    ReplyDelete

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...