Friday, September 22, 2017

Looking for Extraordinary

Yesterday I attended the first class of an 8-week program called, "Am I Hungry? Learning How to Eat Mindfully." Or something along those lines; I may have the words wrong but you get the point. After the usual introductions by those assembled and an overview of the material to be covered, the somewhat timid instructor described future sessions that sounded mildly informative although certainly short of life-changing, which is what I was hoping for. Today was nothing special, and as usual I wasn't particularly hungry any of the times I ate but I ate anyway, and sort of mindlessly if you must know.

It seems I'm always looking for life-changing experiences and never find any. What I want is to stumble upon a message from God like Joseph Smith did when he ran into the angel Moroni and later transcribed the golden tablets that became the basis of the Mormon religion. Or maybe come across a Burning Bush, or even just a smoldering patch of grass -- anything out of the ordinary that could be interpreted as a sign of "something else." But all I get is ordinary stuff, day in and day out. In fact, the last extraordinary thing I witnessed was Donald Trump winning the election.

Many years ago my husband and I stayed at a B&B in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.  It was run by an odd woman who was actually a tiny bit scary, although we couldn't pinpoint what it was about her that was unnerving. We locked our door at night and hoped for the best. The next day at breakfast she shared a long story about what led her to become a born-again Christian. It seems that one morning during the Christmas season several years earlier, she awoke and saw in the sky a huge cloud formation that looked exactly like Santa sitting in his sleigh, and all his reindeer were pulling it. "Rudolph was at the front," she recalled with a gauzy look in her eyes. "They were all there. It was unmistakable."

Now that's what I'm talking about. Something extraordinary.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...