Monday, July 11, 2016

Freedom from Wanting

With yet another shooting somewhere earlier today -- I already forgot where it was but three people died -- things are bad all over. At times like these, I find that moving the furniture helps. Today I tackled the living room, pushing several heavy pieces to new places and ending up adjacent to different tables and lamps. It didn't change the world but it made me feel like I was doing something more important than just having fun.

Not that having fun is so bad, it's just that it seems to be the focus of so many people, at least in America if you're not a homeless heroin addict. The pressure to "have a good time" has spoiled many an otherwise perfectly nice day for me. Not certain why this is so, I was gladdened to hear a podcast of a spiritual talk about how desire poisons much of everyday life, driving us to be our worst selves rather than our best selves. According to this particular Buddhist educator, when we eliminate desire we free ourselves to be happy. I'm eager to give that a try.

In fact, having no substantial food in the house and also no inclination to go to the supermarket at this late hour, I'll use that line of thinking on my husband when he comes home from work wanting dinner, something he has his heart set on most nights. Maybe the couch being in a new place will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...