Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Sore Loser

Like any good Jew, I play Scrabble. I started as a child and have continued my whole life. While playing for real is more fun, online Scrabble will do if nobody else is around, and from time to time I have played with what is called a Random Opponent while waiting for one of my friends to take his or her turn. Recently I started a game with a stranger named Bill.

I was winning from the get-go, and Bill didn't like it one bit. He did not chat. He took forever between turns and then played hard, using unusual and odd words he obviously had searched for on Scrabble cheat-sheets or found through trial and error, always beating my score but not by much. Then I would take my turn and sail past him. He started taking longer and longer between turns, like he was really trying hard. I imagined him biting his nails.

Nearing the end with just a few letters left in my rack, one of which was the J, it was clear I would win. Bill played the word CUNT and was slightly ahead. It was my turn. Stunned, I wondered if that were directed at me or just a coincidence, when suddenly Bill forfeited the game and it was over. Bill was gone.

From now on I am just playing with people I actually know.

1 comment:

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...