Monday, December 10, 2012

Three Plays for a Quarter

I wrote a post about movie candy a year or so ago and it got lots of readers. It was fun to write and obviously struck a chord with my baby boomer friends, many of whom read this and leave comments when so motivated. I often think I should focus on things that "matter," and so eschew topics like the Top Ten Oldies of All Time, even though that would be fun to write about--much more fun than politics, despite having Nancy Pelosi's frozen-in-time face to poke fun at.

The fact that older people flip over any little thing related to their youth--like the Beeman's vs. Black Jack debate--is undeniable. Maybe it's because things were better then--let's face it. Lest you forget, or maybe you weren't there: There were only three TV commercials for every half hour of entertainment, there were no robo-calls from telemarketers, and few if any adults walked the streets playing with little portable toys. No AIDS to boot. Ahhh--the good old days.

I remember that at one of my earliest jobs, at a D.C. ad agency when I was 25, a forty-something guy named Larry who occupied the cubby next to mine kept his radio tuned to all oldies, all the time. Back then I thought he was pathetic, clinging to his spent youth while the world passed him by. Sometimes I wonder--am I Larry now? Maybe. Nevertheless, when one of those oldies come on the radio, which happens only rarely but since I own the entire Time-Life DooWop CD collection it doesn't really matter, I react quite strongly and sometimes even have to pull over to collect myself.

As for those Top Ten, I'll go out on a limb and say that "Come Go With Me" by the Del Vikings, "Calendar Girl" by Neil Sedaka and "Tears On My Pillow" by Little Anthony and the Imperials are surely on the list. Then of course there's Dion and the Belmonts, anything by Ricky Nelson, and "Eddie My Love," but that might just be because I had a crush on a guy named Eddie. And the Fleetwoods, can't forget them...

6 comments:

  1. Hi the commercials at the top and bottom of the hour each ran for 60 seconds.

    as for a top ten in no order and there aren’t 10

    little lion man mumford and sons
    river is wild the killers
    idioteque Radio Head
    Man of the Hour Pearl Jam Eddie Vedder
    Sam's Town Killers
    Flowers in your hair Lumineers
    Alone again Or Love
    Ahead of the curve Monsters of Folk
    Port of Morrow Shinns
    What's Going On Marvin Gaye
    The Message Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five
    Listen to the Rhythm of the Rain The Cascades.
    Mr. Sandman The Chordettes
    Dancing with Joey Ramone Amy Rigby
    Journey to the Center of the Earth Ramones version
    Boris the Spider The Who

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOPS! Journey to the center of your mind.

      Also, you have to have on any list "Whiter Shade of Pale" Procol Harum for hipsters of all ages, directors who make serious movies and angst ridden Sylvia Plath reading chicks.

      Also, some of the old Chevy commercials ran live at 2 minutes. TV is better now. Lucy was an ass.

      Delete
    2. I should have written Oldies, as in rock & roll from the late 50s and 60s. You mean of all time past, which is a whole other thing. From when to when? Your list is quite esoteric and bespeaks either a great knowledge of music or a severe head injury. (Mr. Sandman)

      Delete
    3. this is just a list of what songs you would need when the Zombie Apocalypse shows up. OOOOOOOPS Journey to the center of your mind. OOOOPS. And yes I like the Esoterics, they're from Seattle. So is Pearl Jam. Also, every list should not include songs that are sung by people in restaurants in cute movies that would feature either Julia Roberts or that Kate Hudson chick. People in rehab said it wasn't so severe are they hiding something from me.

      Delete
  2. Andi, agree on Come Go With Me and anything by Dion (with and without the Belmonts), but I'm adding the Cleftones' Little Girl of Mine (recently found out Mac Todd, two grades ahead, now in the group),Danleers' One Summer Night, Morse Code of Love by the Capris, Darling Lorraine by the Knockouts and Rainy Day Bells by of all people, The Globetrotters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is this Rick calling you Andi?!

    Oliver Sacks (may be misspelled) wrote some incredible stuff about the meaning of songs that get stuck in your head, or songs that just pop into your head for apparently no reason. There is ALWAYS a reason, he says, and it is very interesting. Check him out. Maybe you can download the podcast that I heard on NPR the other day. Is that how you say it, "download a podcast"? look it up on NPR.

    ReplyDelete

I'm Big in Hong Kong

Rainy day in Hong Kong I have never been to Hong Kong, nor have I ever wanted to go. It seems very crowded, at least from all the photos I&#...