Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Smarten Up

Hampton Inn staff exhibiting their extreme "Hamptonality."
I hate stupidity. This is a problem for me since there is so much of it around, and in fact it is not even frowned upon; David Letterman got famous for his Stupid Pet Tricks, and he may still have them for all I know. There are TV shows like "Jackass," which is all about people being dumb, and it's quite popular, even with smart people. (I know this for a fact because my husband and son like it and they are among the smartest people out there.) Stupidity has been popular for a really long time, I guess going all the way back to The Three Stooges, a comedy team I know almost nothing about but what little I do know is far too much. (See photo.)

Anyway, something stupid I see often is a sign on a marquee outside a motel that is 1.3 miles from my home. Several times a day, I pass the Hampton Inn and marvel at their suggestion to "Experience Hamptonality."  Each time I wonder just what the heck that means. So today I came home and Googled the word, and was shocked to find a ton of stuff, not only definitions but also a horrifying YouTube video set to the tune of "Personality," a 1959 hit song by Lloyd Price that I always liked. (Until now.)

According to the video that introduced the ad campaign last March, "Hamptonality" means they change the bed linens at the Hampton Inn, and wash the towels too. And all the staff is fun and everyone who works there is outgoing and friendly and laughs a lot. If they simply said "Service With a Smile" or "We've Got Personality," I might consider staying there sometime, like if our house burned to the ground late at night. But not with that "Hamptonality" business going on. It's just too stupid.

1 comment:

  1. Are they trying to say that Hampton is like your House or your Hospital? Hospitality's root may actually be closer to Hospice's.....maybe they are REALLY stupid and they are saying that Hampton is the place to die. Hampton and Person are not even close. It just is stupid. Why can't I be hired for advertising? Come on, someone hire me for my creative ideas.

    Only you could say, "like if our house burned to the ground late at night" and make me laugh. love you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...