Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Much Ado About Nothing

Some questions have no answer. One of them is, "Which is the best Chuckles flavor?" I have been pondering this my whole life and have still not found out since nobody knows. My husband is little help, since he will declare a favorite one time and then the next time go with something else entirely.  Anyway, each color represents a flavor, something I realized once I reached adulthood. They all have assets and liabilities:

1. The Red is also known as Cherry, even though I never tasted a cherry that tasted like a red Chuckles candy. These are quite cheerful, and pretty much everyone's first choice until a more sophisticated palate is developed somewhere around the early teen years. The Red is instantly gratifying, and right away you feel like you are really living. But there is a letdown at the end, when it is obvious that it is overly sweet and somewhat cloying.
2. The Green is allegedly a spearmint flavor, and since I've never eaten a real spearmint I have no way of judging the accuracy, but I do know what I like, and I like the Greens. This is often my second favorite and has no real negatives, although the color is ugly and a tad depressing.
3. The Yellow is lemony and happy and fun. I love it, except I don't really like lemon-flavored anything and so that's a bummer. These are good for old people and those who are watching their weight, as they feel like they are healthier than the others.
4. The Orange, albeit the only one with a flavor and color that are the same word, is hateful and disgusting. I don't know of anyone who likes this color or flavor, except maybe around Halloween when exceptions may be made. It screams artificiality, since it is not even close to tasting like a real orange. I personally feel the Orange should be retired, and then each pack should have two of one of the others, which would be surprising and fun and add to the whole experience, sort of like the prize inside the Cracker Jack box.
5. The Black, or licorice, is fabulous. These are quite grown-up in both appearance and taste, and signify sophistication, maturity, and of course racial harmony. I probably would always go for this one first, except it's usually packed in the middle of the bunch and so I have to eat my way there and sometimes I might like another one better on the way, which is disturbing. Then too, sometimes I save it for last because I think it's the best, but by then I am too full to enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. ha ha ha ha ha
    that is pretty sad about saving the licorice for last and then being too full!
    PS I like the orange! and the lemon and the black and the red . . . but not really the green at all . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never in my life even heard of Chuckles Candy, let alone had one. SEND ME A BOX! I am sure I would eat all the black first since I love licorice.

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...