Friday, May 11, 2012

Dick Clark is Gone

The so-called Baby Boomer generation is big, beginning with those born in 1946 and ending with those born in 1964. My husband and I, while both included, are separated by a gulf of 11 years. That makes me a Golden Boomer while he is part of Generation Jones. We may as well be from different planets. Those front-enders like myself are a different breed entirely, and being with one of my own is among the most comfortable experiences I ever have. This must be true for everyone, whatever their age. I was a senior in high school when president Kennedy was assassinated; my husband was then six years old. As a teenager I was intrigued by Bobby Rydell, mildly interested in Fabian, amused by Frankie Avalon and deeply in love with Dion and all three Belmonts. When we met, Mitch had never heard of those people. I have tried to educate him, but it's hard to explain how great they sounded on those little 45s when he came of age listening to Chicago and the Grateful Dead through headphones.

Not that it matters, but he's never had Sen-Sen, that oddly sinful anise candy that somehow made you feel like a grown-up. Maybe it was the packaging, which was --and still is--reminiscent of condoms. Whatever the reason, seeing it today brings me right back to my youth. One time I gave some to Mitch and he spit it right out. I was almost insulted. But nothing illustrates the cultural chasm between us more than Dick Clark's long-running TV show, "American Bandstand." The burning question of who was better--Kenny and Arlene or Justine and Bob--filled long hours talking on the pink princess phone in my bedroom. (See photo)

Dick Clark died recently, sparking commentary about how New Year's Eve would never be the same without his annual TV coverage of the ball-dropping-in-Times Square mob scene. But for us Golden Boomers, Dick was all about a cool dance party in Philadelphia held every weekday afternoon. I still say, "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it" when I hear a new song that I like, but few people around me know what the heck I'm talking about.

3 comments:

  1. I am closer to Mitch's age and I LOVED American Bandstand. Mitch just didn't choose the correct TV channels or radio stations. I wanted Dick Clark to be my father from the time I saw him, probably in 4th grade, until I grew up and had kids of my own and met Mr. Rogers. What a role model. "Hi, I'm Debbie, 15, SLC Utah...." I did the surf and the jerk and the shimmy right along with those cool kids from the Bronx and other cool cities that got to be on his show. That's where all the best hair fads started, not to mention the shoes and clothes. I look forward to when this whole era returns as retro cooool.
    When we meet in Chicago, I will let you tell me how way much cooler you are than I am and you can explain to me what generation jones means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with everything ... however that is a fake princess phone, I believe ... it looks as if it has a nonfunctional dial and buttons ... is it touchtone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the phone, I am mortified! Will find the real thing!

      Delete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...