Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Whence the Weather?

Early this morning I had two appointments in opposite directions. Each was about a half-hour's drive from my home, which meant that getting from the first to the second involved almost an hour on the road. When I left my house it was just starting to drizzle, but when I turned onto 295, the drizzle turned into major rain which lasted all morning, drastically cutting down my visibility on the highway. Throw in a couple of 18-wheelers and some road work complete with orange cones and Jersey barriers, and the whole thing was a total drag. At times I could barely see. Occasionally things would improve momentarily, then start in again.

The rain finally stopped as I pulled into my driveway four hours later. Now that I am indoors and planning to remain indoors for the rest of the day, it's nice out. The sun is shining, in fact it's a beautiful day for a drive. Even though this is the sort of thing that happens to me frequently--really, a lot--I am trying not to take it personally and instead think of it as a coincidence.

Alternatively, I could hang out a shingle and pass myself off as a Weather Prognosticator, certainly with as much credibility as some other "professionals" out there. Last week I came across a website for an online psychic who promised to answer one free question to illustrate her expertise and gain my trust. "Ask me anything, anything at all," she boasted. I asked, "Should my husband have the surgery?" The answer came back in a few hours: "I advise you to follow your doctor's advice on this."

As for my weather-forecasting service, call me if you're planning an outdoor wedding and I'll try to stay home during it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...