Monday, July 11, 2011

Movie Candy

I recently learned that my best friend Debra, who grew up in Utah and still lives there so it is kind of understandable that she is out of the loop culturally, never heard of Chuckles! How is that possible? Even worse, she has three grown kids who probably never heard of them either, although perhaps they are more sophisticated than their mother, especially the one who left Utah for greener pastures. Anyway, a 5-pack of Chuckles was my hands-down favorite movie candy, and I still love them even though I never eat them anymore, knowing that they are poison.

What's not to love about a Chuckle? First, the very name implies happiness and laughter and good times. Then there is the fact that there are five separate candies in one package, each a delightfully different color and flavor, making the whole experience an early lesson in decision-making and retirement planning. 

Other movie candy seemed boring by comparison, since they were all a box of just one thing: Junior Mints, Whoppers, Malted Milk Balls--all yummy, but the same thing over and over, whereas each Chuckle was a new experience! I never could settle on a favorite: cherry, lemon, spearmint, orange or licorice. I've always leaned towards the licorice, but then those green ones are pretty special too. And of course the red...well, the red, now there's a crowd-pleaser.

If for some bizarre reason there were no Chuckles on the premises, my second choice was Raisinets, which had the added benefit of pleasing my mother because they were so "healthy." On the down side, they were awfully noisy coming out of the box, requiring you to wait for a big laugh in the theater to get some.  I always wondered about those Jordan Almonds kids; they were so grown-up at such a young age.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, a Vulcan mind meld. On the drive up from Florida to NY, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel for lunch. In our once around the before getting back in the car, on the "old time candy" shelf was a jar filled with packages of Chuckles. Must have delayed getting in the car a good 10 minutes just talking about our favorite flavor ... Red for me, black for Carol.

    But with all the movie foods you mentioned, how did you leave out popcorn? There are some movie theaters I won't go to because their popcorn is not good!! Now that we're in upstate, tonight it's Transformers 3, a new theater for me, I sure hope the popcorn is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. deneb says;
    That's me!!!!! I am Debra!!!!! I hit it! On the blog!!!! BooYeah!
    I want some Chuckles now. They sound way better than Neco's and I chose the licorice there without the flavor and certainly without the much-better name. Neco? sounds like a candy for perverts.
    I went for Snaps, Black Crow, or Big Hunks. but I don't think they sold the first or last in the theaters.
    Your best line was, "an early lesson in decision making and retirement planning". I am retired, send me some Chuckles.
    Why don't they sell them here in UT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb: They don't sell them in Maine either, which is why I always pig out on them when we go to Rhinebeck. As for Neccos, the name stands for New England Confectionery Company, and I always liked those too, again for all the choices. Hey, don't fence me in, even with my candy!

    Rick: I didn't mention popcorn because it's simply one of those givens that goes without saying... who doesn't get popcorn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best candy purchased at The Fantasy theater was Bonomos Turkish taffy. It's probably why I've had so many root canals and caps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could you leave out non pariels, they still bring a smile to my face, but I remember Chuckles, I liked to have the sugar melt in my mouth and then eat the rest. Ah memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry Mel! I too LOVED Sno-Caps, but Chuckles were and still are fat free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can not resist. First was black, then red, green always last but I would not want to have had to share Chuckles. And always being on a diet, I kind of felt less guilt about Chuckles than anything chocolate. OK Patti, Bonomos turkish taffy - yup, me too, loved it. Always a struggle, eat it at the movies or save it to put in refrigerator and then smash it to eat it in little pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Certainly nobody would expect you to share your Chuckles! As for the Turkish taffy....you people are brave; I was always afraid it would pull out my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Bonomos turkish taffy I've seen still being sold, in vanilla and also banana, with the instruction on the package that if it's soft, put it in the freezer for 5 minutes and then smack it against something hard for bite sized pieces to share. If I had a choice though of what I'd rather have to pull out not only the caps, but the bridge and implants, no question, Heide Jujyfruits or Jujubees. I think the Fantasy Theater sold them too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rick: Ouch; it's a wonder any of us have any teeth left! I remember those Jujubes as very unforgiving. Was all that candy invented by dentists?

    ReplyDelete

Hell In New York City

Jew-hater. The fat, ugly woman pictured above -- and yes she is fat and yes she is ugly -- is also an ignorant, Jew-hating racist. She was s...