Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Marital Money Matters

After calling to make a payment over the phone, I learned that our credit card is on a temporary hold because of a declined transaction of $1,000 made six days ago that the people at VISA assumed was false. I can't blame them. It was a payment to the Susan Collins campaign. Collins is Maine's Republican senator who is up for re-election this year. 

I wonder what they will do with that money. Print some bumper stickers? Maybe some lawn signs? Or perhaps pay some flunkies to go door-knocking in the burbs? None of which will have any impact on Collins getting elected or not, since Republicans will vote for her no matter what and Democrats won't, lawn signs and bumper stickers be damned.

Consider this: There are starving children, or maybe they have cancer, and abandoned dogs and cats in need of food and shelter, and people suffering from rare diseases and homeless junkies sleeping in doorways, and earthquake victims all over the world, not to mention that $1,200 diamond pendant I lust for, yet my husband thought giving a thousand bucks to a pampered white lady who either will or will not get re-elected despite his drop-in-the-bucket donation was a good idea. SMH.

 

1 comment:

  1. FWIW, those bumper stickers and lawn signs and door-knocking troops actually do affect election outcomes, not just IMO but in the opinion of virtually every campaigns everywhere.. Money makes it happen and it’s all of our responsibility to vote with dollars not just ballots … At least IMO. PS - Susan Collins is one of the few senators that we can actually trust and who aims to build bridges instead of furthering the polarization of our society. It is essential that she get re-elected.

    ReplyDelete

Marital Money Matters

After calling to make a payment over the phone, I learned that our credit card is on a temporary hold because of a declined transaction of $...