Monday, January 31, 2011

I Miss Childhood

When the world gets too crazy--what with Egypt in flames and governments being overthrown and Muslim gangs in Nigeria and  Somali pirates and let's not forget the regular old wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, unemployment and falling home prices nationwide, at least we can count on The Weather Channel to calm our jangled nerves. Here are a few quotes from this morning's forecast, which is repeated every ten minutes all day long:

 "Tuesday and Wednesday is going to be absolutely horrific"
"it's going to be really scary out there"
"the worst we've seen yet"
"has the potential to be really bad for almost everyone"
"a colossal storm and major ice event"
"things will get really icy"
"dangerous travel conditions"
"severe weather components everywhere"
"massive, historic, crippling storm"
"a nightmare"
"dangerous and far-reaching"
"paralyzing ice"
"damaging and severe winds"
"things will get really ugly"

Whatever happened to a nice cup of cocoa with a marshmallow on top, Frosty the Snowman and "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow"?

1 comment:

  1. I love snowmen.
    I love weather.
    I love your writing.
    I love.

    ReplyDelete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...