Tuesday, March 31, 2015

My Personal Best Something or Other

Come on folks, help me out here. If just a few more of you land here today I will break my all-time record for monthly readership since starting this blog in 2007. And that will mean exactly nothing, but for some reason many people think breaking records and setting records and personal bests are important.

Not naming any names but someone I live with belongs to an exercise cult -- again not naming any names -- that makes it a practice of keeping score of every last thing every participant does, how many times and how fast they do it, and posting it online. That person I live with checks his stats frequently, and if he breaks his own personal record for something, be it how many times he hiccuped in a ten-minute period while standing on one leg and holding a barbell overhead, he is thrilled. I mean really happy! (I could hit him up for anything at that moment and he would say yes.)

As for me, I just want to have a nice day and have my son have a nice day. In fact, if my son is having a nice day and I hear about it, then my day is immediately nicer. But if I walk further than yesterday or weigh less than last week or meditate longer than somebody else or even myself, I don't really give a crap. Still, there is that record I was looking to break, and since you clicked you helped, and I'd like to say thanks.

1 comment:

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...