Wednesday, July 3, 2013

About a Crow

This morning I was hoping to sleep late, but one of God's creatures had other ideas. A crow parked in the woods just outside my bedroom window started shouting, and kept it up for about 20 minutes. I woke up at the first angry caw and tried to dim the racket with a pillow over my head, hoping he would stop and I could return to my technicolor dream. Those are rare. Anyway, he didn't. Finally, even though it was only about five after the crack of dawn, I got out of bed. As soon as I did, the crow was quiet. I never heard from him again, but by then I was wide awake and there was no possibility of falling back asleep.

I guess it was fitting that I was awakened in that manner, today being Franz Kafka's birthday. He wrote often about alienation and mystical transformation. Kafka's most famous work, The Metamorphosis, begins: "As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams, he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect-like creature." I was quite happy that hadn't happened to me and went outside to feed the fish. Still, I wondered about that crow.






3 comments:

  1. I think it is way crazy that you woke up thinking about Kafka and it is Kafka's birthday! Way Kafka-esque . . . or him speaking to you from the beyond . . ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I heard screech owls calling last night in my yard!!!! so happy and hopeful. I hope they will nest in my yard some day. and I also hope I get to actually see one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gregor Samsa is one of my all time favorite beings. Thought you needed to know.

    ReplyDelete

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...