Friday, May 18, 2012

Turning Off and Tuning Out

Money, money, money.... Facebook goes public. 57% of the deal....while $3.8 billion in shares....with a market value of $104 billion. Disco queen Donna Summer dies of lung cancer at age 63. John Edwards trial rests. Sears sees sales shrivel. Another Kennedy bites the dust. Financial collapse in Greece. George Zimmerman has a broken nose and lacerations....Romney defends his past.... the Dow falls for the fourth day in a row... U.S. debates apologizing for killing two dozen Pakistani troops...weather predictions for unusually warm weather this summer will raise wildfire risks....Syrian activists...the North Koreans.....fall in Chinese loans poses economic threat.

It's little wonder I have high blood pressure.

Yesterday I had one of those all-day "events" that made me think I would, or at least could, drop dead at any moment. My blood pressure reading was off the charts. I took my pills, drank my water, sat quietly, breathed deeply, called doctors, got up and walked around, took more pills, laid in bed, got up again. But nothing could stop the tapes in my head, and that might just be what's causing it. So tomorrow morning at crack of dawn I will fly to Indiana and watch corn grow. Then it's on to Chicago where I plan to avoid the news and instead just do a lot of walking, eat good food, see art, take interesting photographs and hang with friends.

Daily Droid will be on hiatus until a week from today. Hopefully the Taliban and President Hollande and the anti-Putin activists and all those guys over at J. P. Morgan and Angela Merkel and Mark Zuckerberg and the Chinese activists and Karl Rove and the rest of the striving, narcissistic, over-achieving news makers will play nice until I return.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about Facebook. What does "going public" actually mean? And what happened to the Kennedy? I should watch the news more, but, like you, I'd probably get high blood pressure. I am actually glad that I don't keep up. I let the social media tell me what's up when I want it to. But I could be more knowledgeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It means that shares of stock in Facebook will now be available to the public to buy. The 53-year-old ex-wife of Robert Kennedy, Jr. (Bobby's son) committed suicide by hanging in her home in Bedford, NY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone with high blood pressure, I sympathize!

    Are you sure Chicago is the place to go, to lower those b.p. numbers? Perhaps you shouldn't check the news this morning...

    ReplyDelete

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...