Thursday, August 20, 2026

Wasted Time, Wasted Money, Wasted Life

My husband has an identical twin brother who has three children. Through marriage, they are my niece and nephews. Starting when the oldest, now 37, was just a baby, I was a doting aunt. Then two more came along, and I was even more doting, meaning that at Christmas, birthdays and Easter I would shower the kids with love and affection, and of course gifts.

Since I have only one child -- a son-- and we are Jewish, Christmas shopping for my only nephews and niece, who despite their Jewish father were raised Catholic by their mother, was a blast. Money was no object. I started in October and spent countless hours wrapping their gifts, then shipping them off to Maine from my home in Washington, DC. Eventually we moved here and I could present their gifts in person. It was fun for me and for them. 

But it wasn't just gifts. They loved my cooking, especially my apple pie. I drove one of them to horseback riding lessons every week. I gave wise counsel when asked. I cared about them.

Fast-forward to today. I honestly cannot remember the last time I laid eyes on any of them, or spoke with them on the phone. Fifteen years, maybe? No texts, no emails, nothing. They all live far away but even when I hear that they are in town for a visit, none of them get in touch. Are they married? Are they happy? Did the girl transition or is she just a pronoun-touting lesbian who works in construction? I have no idea, as I no longer communicate with their mother and their father barely mentions them.

If I could live my life over again, I wouldn't do any of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wasted Time, Wasted Money, Wasted Life

My husband has an identical twin brother who has three children. Through marriage, they are my niece and nephews. Starting when the oldest, ...