Sunday, August 3, 2025

Good Dog! (Bad Human!)

Reading the paper this afternoon, I came across two stories on the same page. One was about a teenager whose foot was badly burned at Yellowstone National Park when he stepped through the crusty earth near a boiling hot geyser. Having been to Yellowstone many times, I know that there are many signs warning visitors to steer clear of the geysers, as they pose a serious danger. So the kid must have ignored those signs and been foolhardy and oh well, too bad for him. I cared not a whit.

The next story was about a dog rescued in Parkland, Florida during a Category 5 hurricane last year by a state trooper who received a radio call about an animal trapped in rising waters. It went into great detail about how the dog's collar had gotten caught on a fence after his owner, a 24-year-old brat, left him tethered by the side of the road because he didn't want to take him along as he raced to escape the hurricane. 

I cried reading the second article, imagining the terror the dog had felt until his rescue. I hated the dog's owner, a lowly human, and was elated to read he had been tracked down and punished, and that Florida passed a law making the abandonment of animals during a storm a felony.

There is no punchline. People are truly the worst, and believe me, it's upsetting that I am one. Dogs are so much nicer, kinder, sweeter, more loyal and loving, except for pit bulls, whose inborn nature has been destroyed by generations of human owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Toughing Out My Cat's Ninth Life

Living with an old cat is not any more fun than living with an old anything, be it animal, vegetable or mineral. Take, for example, my dryer...