Monday, December 3, 2018

Stop Yelling, and Learn to Swim


It's odd that people don't get along better when we're all in the same boat, the boat being Life and certain Death, unrelenting Anxiety that muddles our thinking, and constant Aggression that causes us to lash out at one another even though we're all we've got. Few of us understand, or if we do still we don't try to help, that stress and turmoil in any part of the boat is likely to shake up the whole damn vessel, ultimately dumping everyone overboard.

Right now the SS Humanity is taking on water at an alarming rate and several of the engine rooms are flooded. This is not at all surprising when you consider the people at the helm. I am not one of them; generally I stay off the bridge and hang out below deck. I admit this is cowardly but I simply don't have the  stamina to take responsibility for too many of the other passengers; I pretty much limit my care-taking to my immediate family and a few close friends. And myself, naturally.

The alarming fact is that there is no other boat! This realization causes me great anxiety and is the reason I begin each day by swallowing a mouthful of pills that the ship's doctors hand out freely to anyone with a problem. Most days the pills help, or else it's the oatmeal with walnuts and turmeric -- I always feel better right after that. But so many others onboard are eating badly, sickened from consuming too much sugar, salt and dead animals, it's little wonder there's so much conflict.

But never fear! In case you do fall overboard, remember the popular Buddhist saying: "If you know you're the ocean, you're not afraid of the waves." Still, a few swimming lessons couldn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...