Sunday, June 4, 2017

What Is There To Do?

Alex grins atop El Capitan after his histroic feat.
Yesterday, a 31-year-old "adventure rock climber" named Alex Honnold climbed to the top of Yosemite National Park's famed El Capitan, a 3,000-foot sheer mountain wall, without the aid of ropes or gear of any kind, thereby setting a world record. Somehow he did it using just his own hands and feet, which makes me feel really old and tired and stupid and pathetic considering I am reluctant to even go for a walk around the neighborhood this morning because I had friends over last night and may have had too much to drink. I wonder what Alex was doing the night before his climb. Probably not downing Manhattans.

Still, I'd like to ask Alex: So what? So you climbed to the top of a mountain and did not die doing it. Is this what things have come to? Pulling off stunts to get in the news? Does the world offer so little that you have devoted your life to making solo ascents of mountains all over the world? I am simply asking because I don't see the value in it.

Okay, so now I'm going for a walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...