I read this morning about "the hot new salad being served in trendy New York City restaurants." I can't help but wonder what Al Sharpton has to say about it. Is a watermelon salad less offensive or more offensive than watermelon flavored toothpaste? Would they serve it in the White House? What's the deal with watermelon and racism anyway? Is it worse than saying "Redskins"? Anyway, the recipe is below; try it if you dare.
Watermelon & Feta Salad
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 (6-lb) seedless watermelon, rind removed, flesh cut into 1'' cubes
- 2 (4-oz) bags watercress
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- To prepare the dressing, add the vinegar, salt, pepper, and olive oil to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Add the chopped basil and pulse 3 times.
- To prepare the salad, combine the watermelon, watercress, and onion in a large salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently until everything is coated and evenly mixed. Sprinkle with feta cheese before serving.