Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Words of Wisdom from a Dead Guy

If only more people could follow the preceding advice given by Steve Jobs, things would be so much better in our society. But far too few do. In fact, if you even try you are branded a "kook" by the rest of the sheep-like people (sheeple) who comprise the ever-increasing bulk of America. I have been branded "a piece of work" or an "oddball" ever since I can remember, and to be honest, I'm sort of tired of hearing it by now.

While I witness individual instances almost daily, my last sighting of a flock of sheeple occurred over a year ago, while I was in Haiti. Our tour group of 12 women had gathered for an informal meeting in the hotel's lounge area. Drinks were offered; I ordered a Pastis. Someone asked what that was, and I explained. Then she ordered one. Next thing you know, everyone there was drinking Pastis, although one or two had it on the rocks, again per my suggestion. It was pretty weird, and I was congratulated for "starting a trend." The next night in the hotel bar, Pastis was again quite popular in our group. I think I was supposed to be flattered, but instead I was appalled--didn't even one of those women have their own favorite drink by the age of 50-ish? Naturally I said nothing, since unbridled honesty is always a one-way ticket to Palookaville, and I was already in Haiti--being in both at the same time seemed unduly daunting. Anyway, Steve Jobs got it right--maybe each of us should try a little harder to follow our own private GPS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Challenge to Katie Couric

Perky though she may be, or may have been in her younger days when she was paid to be, Katie Couric is no brainiac. Calling half of America ...