Monday, September 2, 2013

Rejecting the Good Old Days

My millionth high school reunion is scheduled for next May and I was planning to go, really I was, until I realized something important: I don't want to. This is unfortunate since it's traditionally a great motivator for weight loss; heck, I could lose 15 pounds by then if I put my mind to it. Also, there are a few people who will be there that I actually like, and when I say "a few" I mean three. But really, I can see Diane, Rick and Melva anytime, without flying to New York and driving out to Long Island and getting a hotel room to attend a dinner in some cavernous restaurant and make chitchat with the other 300 I never even talked to back when we were all so much better looking.

Besides the dreary prospect of that rubber chicken dinner and an oldies band playing hits from the 60s, there's the inevitable sadness over lost youth reflected in every Botoxed face and protruding paunch. Added to all that is the fact that my high school flame wasn't even in my graduating class, so he won't be in attendance even if he is still alive.

If only there were such a thing as a Future Reunion! Instead of looking back, I'd jump at the chance to meet those people I have yet to meet who might offer the possibility of friendship, good times, or even just a meaningful conversation. Put me down for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...