Friday, February 25, 2011

Untouchables in the Teacher's Lounge

I know little about the details of most political issues, but once in a great while something comes along that I do know about, and unions fall into that category. The current brouhaha in Wisconsin over teachers' unions reminds me of my days as a newspaper art director. I worked at several and was always considered to be "management" and so was never in a union, but I sure did get a close look at their membership--often too close.

At both the Oakland Tribune and the Washington Star I inherited lazy slackers who sat back on their duffs and did almost no work but could not be fired because they were in the union. These folks were commonly referred to as "dead wood" and their contracts were "untouchable." When I complained that I needed to hire better people, which I did every few months, I was told to "wait it out and hope they retire or die." Their overwhelming lack of industry, ability and motivation didn't matter; they were in the union!

I suspect there is a lot of that going on in the Wisconsin school system. After all, if a mob of people willing to protect you waits silently in the wings, you are not in any danger and can totally relax. It's a little like the Mafia-- and a lot like the Democratic legislators in Wisconsin.

1 comment:

  1. wow andrea
    awesome post
    clear . . personal . . convincing . . .

    ReplyDelete

RFK Jr: Another Crazy Candidate

It wasn't long ago that I considered voting for Robert F. Kennedy Jr. for president. He seemed sane, something we can't say about ei...