Sunday, February 27, 2011

Please, No Pictures

Celebrity is not for me. In today's New York Times there is an article about the leading "self-exposing blogger striving to be heard." She typically gets 100,000 hits daily. Just hearing that gives me the shivers. I don't mind telling you that yesterday, eight people read my blog. Some days I get as many as 40 or 50 readers if it's a hot topic. These statistics make me happy.

I learned this fact about myself several weeks back when I wrote about Keith Olbermann, the despicable newsman who thankfully was ousted from his anchor desk at MSNBC shortly thereafter--a coincidence no doubt, but I had a lot of fun suggesting my blog took him down. The post in question suggested that Olbermann would be a much better target for a deranged person, instead of all the good souls who have been downed by assassins in the past. For some reason, and in part because my husband's equally despicable distant relative sent it to her rabid left-wing Facebook community, the post reached a wide audience including the horrible Mr. O himself. Within just a few hours I had received 300 comments from the more than 9,000 viewers, each of whom told me I suck in no uncertain terms. The story was picked up by many opportunistic Internet news sites, labeling me a "would-be assassin."

The experience made me ill. I couldn't walk past a window in my home without feeling I was in the crosshairs of at least one cloaked intruder crouching in the surrounding woods. Within a few hours, angry phone calls reached my home, oddly enough all from the same black woman who screamed "Hallelujah!" and told me to "take that down" or pay a dear price. Scathing notes arrived at my Facebook page and in my personal email.

Against the advice of friends and my husband, I deleted the entire blog-- naturally I printed it first-- and laid low for about a week.  I began anew with a different name, hiding from the masses, most of whom are crazy fools. You, my dear friends and readers, are a select group--you are not crazy fools. Thanks for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...