Friday, January 20, 2017

Passing the Baton

Today, January 20, 2017, at exactly twelve noon, I will start my one-hour workout with my personal trainer, as I have done three times each week for many months now. I will do the same things I always do, except maybe he will add something to the mix to make me work harder. It will make absolutely no difference in my workout who is the president of the United States, or who is being sworn in as the new one, or who sings at the Inauguration or what the wives are wearing or how sad Hillary Clinton looks. I don't need to see any of that, I need to do more lunges and squats and work on strengthening my core so I don't fall apart. What goes on at noon in another city will make little difference in anyone's lives except of course those of the actual incoming and outgoing Presidents of the United States, their family members and all those people who work for our government.

I really miss Michael!

Thus, I am totally, utterly and sincerely confused as to why people are crying over the passing of the baton, saying they will "miss" the Obamas. Have they ever met any of them? Did even one member of the Obama family ever call them at home, or have them over for dinner, or pick them up at the airport or make them tea when they were sick or visit them after surgery or help jump-start their car or drive them to the ER or bake them a birthday cake or do even the slightest thing for them, ever?

So what's up with the whole "missing" thing? That's like saying you "miss" Elvis Presley or Frank Sinatra or Freddie Mercury or John Lennon or Michael Jackson (moonwalking!) or Paul Newman or Phillip Seymour Hoffman or JFK or Princess Diana or James Gandolfini or Robin Williams or Andy Warhol or George Harrison or the entire cast of Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm and Frasier and Will & Grace, although I hear they are coming back for ten new episodes. That should be fun no matter who lives in the White House.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...