Saturday, October 4, 2014

Here's to a Long Life


Death has always been just around the corner, but these days it seems to be mid-block as well. The possibilities are endless, of course, but added to the usual drownings, falls, car crashes, plane crashes, train derailments, bombings, illness, drive-by shootings and rabid dog attacks, we now have to contend with Ebola and a possible beheading. Fortunately the last two are highly unlikely here in Maine, with only a million residents and almost all of them related.

Still, since you never know, to be on the safe side I got a flu shot this morning. I always hold the hand rail while going down a flight of stairs. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I take probiotics, fish oil and wheat grass, get daily exercise, and sleep not too much and not too little every night. Despite those measures I will surely die, I just don't know when. Of course that bugs me, since I'm not confident about which big projects I can or can't finish. But then, modern life being a marvel, I found a website that predicts when I will die!

All I had to do was truthfully answer a few questions. I did so, and found out I have 29 years left. There's another online test that predicts how you will die, but I figure if I live to be 97 there won't be too many options open to me by then; lying in a bed or sitting in a chair seems of little importance. Anyway, I guess neither ISIS nor Ebola will get me this go-round. Good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Challenge to Katie Couric

Perky though she may be, or may have been in her younger days when she was paid to be, Katie Couric is no brainiac. Calling half of America ...