Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Non Sequitur

I will spare you the details, but let it suffice that I recently loaned someone money and learned the truth of the adage, "neither a borrower nor a lender be." Having never been a borrower I can't speak from experience, but if it's as unsatisfying as being a lender, I'll certainly never do it. The problem is this: One wants to feel appreciated, one wants to be thanked appropriately, and one wants to be repaid pronto. (None of this applies to relatives, by the way, so any of my kin out there reading this, relax and fugggedaboutit.) If one of those conditions--or God forbid all three--are missing, you are left feeling like you actually did something bad even though you did something good, which is crazy. Maybe it's got to do with the balance of power and having the upper hand or having no hand at all, or feeling inferior or superior, who knows, not sure, but it's a bad business all around.

That being said, I was sad to read about the death of Annette Funicello, the former superstar who catapulted to fame and fortune on the back of Mickey Mouse during the 1950s and 60s. I personally never liked Annette--her eyebrows were just too damn heavy, and when she went on to star in all those beach party movies, her breasts were ridiculously pointy and torpedo-like. But it was fun saying her name--we called her Annette Fullofjello--and I was sorry she suffered from such a debilitating illness for the last part of her life. She seemed like she was a very sweet woman in her later years, quite pretty in fact with perfectly normal eyebrows, and I bet if I had loaned her money she would have been really nice about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...