Saturday, January 4, 2014

When In Doubt, Bake

Right now there are no degrees where I live. In fact, even if eleven of them showed up there would still be none. I am slightly annoyed, since I've heard so much about "global warming" from my Democrat friends, and I was sort of counting on seeing some of it up here in Maine. Maybe you need to drive a Prius to qualify. Whatever, it's damn cold around these parts, necessitating the wearing of gloves and a hat in my house.

One good thing is that we still have power, so if I were not dieting and had some small children handy, I would bake. Baking not only warms up the house and makes it smell good, but it creates memories. Sadly, my grown son does not remember the baking, only the yelling, but that's another blog post. Anyway, since some of you reading this might not be dieting and also may have access to children, I'd suggest baking some of Larry's Molasses Sugar Cookies, they are fabulous. (See recipe below.)

Cartoon by Mark Anderson
As for me, I have to wait for the hot tub repairman, who is braving the elements to come out here and fix our faulty sensor, or something. All I know is that it keeps on running and the water gets too low so we have to keep adding water to prevent it from freezing. We have to use buckets filled in the kitchen sink since all the outside water is shut off, and then carry them out to the tub and open the lid and then close the lid each time, for like a hundred times. I suggested we simply let it go and get a new one in the spring. Mitch, who makes all of our money, and by the way also carries all the water, merely grunted in my direction and went off with another bucket.

Larry's Molasses Sugar Cookies
 3/4 Cup Shortening
1 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Molasses
1 Egg
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
2 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
Melt shortening and let cool, then add sugar, molasses and egg. Beat well. Sift dry ingredients and mix with preceding ingredients, then chill. Form into 1" balls, roll in granulated sugar and place on cookie sheet 2" apart. Bake in 375 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...