Thursday, April 4, 2013

I'm No Party Animal

Illustration by Gordon Studer
Considering the possibility of another visit to Haiti sometime in the distant future, I've been doing some reading and recently came across a description of a certain street carnival that sounded like it might be fun, until the very last line that promised the festive proceedings would eventually evolve into "a rum-soaked evening where everyone parties til dawn."  Hmm, maybe not such fun after all, at least not to me. While I like a good party, I have never been prone to partying, be it til dawn, dusk, mid-morning or whenever.

It all got me wondering what the word even means, so I looked it up and found that the verb to party means, "to enjoy oneself thoroughly and without restraint; indulge in pleasure." Aha! No wonder. Indulgence is certainly not something I engage in publicly, but rather in the privacy of my own home, either alone or with a chosen few. What's more, I certainly don't want to be around total strangers abandoning all restraint--think The Who concert--which is why I've never made it to Mardi Gras, although I do like New Orleans. As for the rum-soaking, that's also a no, although a substitution beverage can help me unwind enough to hang around for a little while.

I don't know how or why I'm no party animal, but here I be and I won't apologize. As the late, great Janis Joplin said sometime before she overdosed on booze and pills, "Never compromise yourself--you're all you've got."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...