Sunday, April 7, 2013

Empathy Sucks

I am fine. Nothing hurts me at the moment, I'm well-fed and clothed, and I don't need surgery, at least not today. I guess you could say I'm "happy." Except I'm miserable: I feel dizzy whenever I try to sit up, and feel nauseous constantly, and haven't eaten in two days so I'm hungry too. Worst of all, I can hardly hear, and I can't remember why or how I got in this hospital bed. Oh wait, that's not me, that's my brother-in-law, who suffered a fall two days ago and cracked his skull and now has blood in his brain. No wonder he feels so bad. What's my excuse?

Apparently I am suffering from a severe case of empathy, which is defined as "the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another." In fact, my husband has it too. I sure wish something fabulous would happen to someone close to us so we could get some relief. If you have any good news to share, email me at andreajrouda@aol.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...