Wednesday, March 14, 2018

A Geography Lesson

There's a whole other state between the city of Portland and the state of Vermont!

There's an old saying: "Those who can, do. Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym." I would like to add something to that: "Those who can't teach gym become meteorologists." After the third measurable storm in the last couple of weeks, the weather people are desperately seeking to fill air time with the appearance of their deep and esoteric knowledge on the subject. I remain unconvinced, having long suspected they each graduated in the bottom of whatever class they took to get where they've gotten.

This morning I was sure of it. One of the "meteorologists" stood in front of his map of the storm area and pontificated about how much of "the white stuff" got dumped on Portland, Vermont. "Yup, those hardy folks up there in Portland, Vermont got a ton of the white stuff!" Only there is no Portland, Vermont. I hope someone told him by now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...