Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Good Old Gramps and Granny

Recently one of my Facebook friends posted a photo of her grandchildren. (This was not the first time.) The string of comments in response to that photo were predictable, praising the beauty of the children, how adorable, so sweet, nothing compares to grandchildren, and more like those. But one woman wrote: "Grandchildren make you feel young again." I found that surprising, since grandchildren make me feel old.

I don't have any myself but many of my friends do, and I'll tell you, they act like a bunch of codgers, pulling out the pictures and the videos constantly, as if any of the little ones look any different from any of the others, which they don't, by the way. This bums me out because all these Gramps and Grannies are my peers. I tell you, it can be disheartening.

Still, that woman wrote that comment, so I thought who knows, maybe it's true, in which case I would start working on my son to get busy having a baby ASAP. So I did some research but nowhere could I find anything about grandchildren being the Fountain of Youth. I remember one of my own grandmothers was always crotchety, complaining about her aches and pains, and the other one was already dead by the time I paid any attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...