Sunday, January 7, 2018

Give Me Money

Is it just me, or does it seem like more people than ever before are refusing to take responsibility for their own lives? Yes, times are hard for some of us, and panhandling is on its way to becoming a legitimate profession. But others seem only to be taking advantage of the basic human tendency to be charitable.

So far today I have been asked for money twice and I haven't even left my home or met either of the grant-seekers in person. This distant approach to begging seems to me a step below giving money to the street people who at least look you in the eye as you hurry by.

The first plea came by way of our local newspaper, wherein a desperate cry for help was detailed in an article about a bright young man with a brilliant future who had been mugged and left to die. He did not die but instead awoke in a pool of his own blood in a deserted railroad yard in Boston. He was ultimately rescued and diagnosed with a severe brain injury requiring many surgeries. His parents started a GoFundMe page to help with his monumental medical costs. The story got me weeping and seriously considering making a donation.

The next ask was from a clever guy who writes a blog about the New York Times crossword puzzle. He gives the answers and discusses the merits of the puzzle every day, and especially on Sundays which is when most people, myself included, do it. Each week I read his comments after I've finished the puzzle. Today he made his "annual plea" for cash to sustain him so he can continue this particular hobby and maybe even quit his paying job. He included his home address for mailing in a check but suggested that PayPal was the easiest and quickest path to supporting his cause. I was not moved.

Like just about everyone I know, I too would welcome money from complete strangers who think I'm swell. There are so many great things I could do with it. If you feel like sending me money for no good reason, go for it! Just leave a comment with your email address or phone number and I'll contact you to make all the arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hell In New York City

Jew-hater. The fat, ugly woman pictured above -- and yes she is fat and yes she is ugly -- is also an ignorant, Jew-hating racist. She was s...