Sunday, January 14, 2018

Apparently Everyone Sucks

Haitian children living in a tent city after the 2010 earthquake.
Here's something you won't hear me say very often: There is an interesting and true article in today's New York Times worthy of reading. It's not smug or precious or preachy, but then again it wasn't written by a staffer. It's about how the scourge of racism has infected everyone in the world. The author suggests, and then illustrates, how each and every one of us is a racist, which is considered a very bad thing to be these days, even worse than being a serial killer or a pederast, no kidding. The conclusion is that the only people who are truly NOT racist are the ones who say they are racist.

So I guess that makes me a racist since I often say I'm not. But I definitely see differences in skin color, and thank God for that since my cataract surgery two years ago cost a pretty penny. In my own defense, racism-wise, I visited Haiti several years ago and did not find it to be a shithole country, or even a s**thole country like President Trump called it. I found the people to be kind and generous and overall fairly happy, despite the fact that starving dogs roamed the streets unless they just laid there dead, and garbage filled the open sewers and the occasional roadside stand had a cat on the barbie. In fact, I loved being in Haiti and felt safer there than I do in half of Chicago, three-quarters of D.C. and all of Baltimore.

Still, apparently we are all racists, beginning with Abe Lincoln who allegedly told all the slaves to go back where they came from, which is ironic because they wouldn't have come here at all if they hadn't been brought here as slaves. So get used to your inherent (and inherited) racism and stop denying it. In fact, embrace it: The more you admit are one, the less of one you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...