Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Media Won

The Top Dog at one of our local newspapers, The Northern Forecaster, has banned me from even submitting a letter to the editor, forget writing any articles for them. I'm pretty sure the fact that I moved here from D.C. where I worked for the Washington Post turned him off. (Also my habit of using big words he had to look up.) Anyway, instead of hiring talented people with original ideas he prints columns by Maine's indigenous peoples, the women describing family vacations or how messy their kitchen junk drawer always is, and the men rehashing the failings of POTUS or detailing their latest fishing trip. Since that paper is published weekly, those subjects get old pretty fast.

So I write my own column in this very spot and am free to say anything since I have no boss, don't get paid, and most importantly, have so few readers that the likelihood of my being arrested for hate speech is minimal. Still, I keep my darkest thoughts to myself. Usually. But today I am throwing caution to the wind and saying I'm sorry the Other Guy won in Alabama. His victory was clearly a result of mainstream media meddling with the facts, as usual seeking to make Trump look bad.

Here's what I think: Whatever Roy Moore did 40 years ago couldn't have been too bad since not one of his "victims" said anything about it at the time, or anytime in the following four decades. The winner and new Alabama senator will be voting on all sorts of things, and is on record as being in favor of partial-birth abortions. If you ask me, that's worse than Moore "making sexual advances to young girls," even if he was old enough to be their older brother.

When I was 16, a 26-year-old friend of my sister made a "sexual advance" towards me. He invited me to dinner, which I accepted. Another time we went dancing. He was a perfect gentleman both times and explained that he "enjoyed being with young people." I decided he was too old for me and that was that. At no time did I think he was a pervert.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...