Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Toys 'Were' Us

Another Internet casualty is hardly news, but this one hit me hard. Toys 'R' Us has filed for bankruptcy because of their increasing mountainous debt, just two years after they were forced to close the magical FAO Schwarz flagship store (which they owned) on New York's Fifth Avenue due to sky-high costs. The mega-giant retailer, unable to compete with online shopping, has suffered tremendous financial losses, not seeing a profit since 2013.  Part of the problem is that instead of making time to drive somewhere to actually see and feel the fantastic array of toys available, busy (or lazy?) parents are simply opening their laptops and surfing the net. Note to parents: It's not the same.


My own son is on the brink of turning 30, but I still remember the fun and excitement of taking him to our local Toys 'R' Us several times a month. We made the outing all the way from infancy to about age twelve, when suddenly he wanted only books and sports equipment instead of toys. But until then we spent countless hours wandering the aisles of that fabulous emporium, inspecting and choosing things he might want for an upcoming birthday or Hanukkah, or just for the pure fun of it. I'm not ashamed to admit that on days when I was feeling low, like when Zack was away at summer camp, I would go there alone to cheer myself up. And of course there were tons of gifts to be bought for the children of friends and relatives. It was the one errand I never shirked.

While the stores are still open for now the handwriting is on the wall, written in a black Sharpie. My advice to young parents is put down the cell phone, grab your kids and get over there while you still can. Childhood experiences magnify over time, and I doubt many adults will hold cherished memories of Mom at the computer, ordering stuff from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...