Sunday, January 1, 2017

A Proper Resolution

What a great feeling! So far this whole year I have not made one mistake. Now if I can just keep doing that for the next 364 days, 2017 will be a great year. Alas, that's unlikely, but still it's a good thing to keep in mind.

I have finally come up with a serious resolution, unlike the one I divulged recently to make pigs-in-a-blanket. It's not that I'm not going to make them, but just that it's hardly worthy of being called a new year's "resolution." But this one is: In 2017 I will read a new book every month. (Not newly published, just new to me.) That may sound like not much of a goal, but for me it's a biggie since I usually just keep re-reading books I love. I mean why not do something you know in advance makes you happy? This explains why I have read Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome at least a dozen times. But enough is enough, it's time to move on.

This month's book is Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf if it kills me, which it may judging from page one. And let's remember, Ms. Woolf drowned herself at age 59, possibly because her books were so boring and she had to write them. Anyway, I'm determined to make it all the way to the end, having never read anything by that esteemed author, and will then write a critique of it right here. Now it's off to the supermarket for those baby hot dogs.

1 comment:

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...