Thursday, May 12, 2016

Nobody Cares What You Think

Dueling opinionators
A woman aged seventy-two had a baby last month in India. She and her husband (himself seventy-five or seventy-nine depending on the news source) had tried for all their forty-six years of marriage, with no luck. Finally, through the miracle of modern science, it happened: In vitro fertilization paid off! 

Here's what I have to say about that: Nothing. My opinion on the subject matters not one bit, and in fact I don't even have one. You can look at it this way, and then again you can see it that way. Yet people everywhere -- mostly on the Internet where, aside from at Donald Trump rallies, our most inane rabble-rousing occurs -- feel it is their civic duty to weigh in on every last thing that happens to people they don't know, will never meet, and could care less what they think. They post comments like: "It's terrible, a shame, disgusting! It's a miracle, God provides! They will both be dead soon and the baby will be an orphan! Science should be solving problems like the lack of water in India, not making babies! Science is incredible! Love never dies! What will be will be!"

I say blah, blah, blah and yada, yada, yada. Spare me, and all the rest of us, your opinion (defined as "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge"), most especially on matters that have nothing to do with you. And that goes for just about everything.

(Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking: This is all just my opinion. Well guess what? This is my blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...