Friday, February 5, 2016

Be Kind to Strangers

Dave with his family.
I am sad today because someone I didn't know and in fact never even heard of before ten minutes ago committed suicide yesterday. Dave Mirra, a star of the BMX bike world (I had to look that up) shot himself in the head. He was 41, a handsome man in his prime, married with two young daughters. Dave had won many awards in his field and was a true superstar, considered an idol by many. He was last seen chatting amiably with a friend hours before he ended his life.

We all think of it at one time or another, or maybe not all of us, just the most sensitive among us. But what pushes someone over the edge when they have, or seem to have, everything? Surely there must have been a pressing problem. Otherwise, why? I am bereft. I don't get it. There must be more.

Perhaps all it would have taken to change his mind (and the lives of his children) was a kind word from a stranger. You just never know what power you wield.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...