Monday, December 7, 2015

Everyday Magic


It is now 52 degrees here in Freeport, Maine, and that's just crazy! Last year we got snow three days before Halloween and never saw the grass again until May; this year we have not yet had one flake. Everyone is buzzing about it, wondering if this is global warming rearing its ugly head, but I know the truth.

When I was growing up, before my mother learned to drive (when I was 16 and she was ashamed because I got my license and she didn't have hers), we took the bus everywhere, except when we took the train.  On a typical afternoon we'd be waiting at the bus stop, and waiting and waiting, until finally my mother, frustrated, would pull out one of her Kents and light it up, saying, "Watch this, now the bus will come." And it pretty much always did, pretty much right away, causing her to grumble about wasting a perfectly good cigarette.

So this year, after the last six winters of getting stuck and being afraid to drive in a blizzard, I finally gave in and spent $1,000 on snow tires ($1,120 counting labor). So far we're well into December and we haven't seen as much as a frozen raindrop. If I knew I had inherited my mother's powers I would have used them long ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...