Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Customer Disservice Wednesday


The world is truly going to Hell in a handbasket. (I have no idea what a handbasket is, or how it can hold so much stuff, but my husband uses that expression all the time and I like it.) The point is, besides wars, terror attacks, fleeing refugees, homelessness, drug addiction and disease, civility and basic decency are in the toilet, and I don't just mean Donald Trump.

Wanting to participate in Small Business Saturday since we had blown off Turkey Thursday and Black Friday, and seeking new carpeting for our bedroom since what we've got now is twenty years old, vomit-stained from three cats, and ugly besides (it came with the house), my husband and I went to a local flooring place instead of a big box store like Home Depot. We spent almost an hour there and finally chose two contenders, leaving with carpet samples and a promise that someone would call us Monday morning to arrange a meeting with an estimator in our home and get the ball rolling.

Monday morning nobody called, so I phoned the store around noon. The woman who answered said nobody was there to help me but could she have my name, address and phone number and someone would call me later that day. Nobody did. So I called back on Tuesday. A different lady answered, put me on hold, then came back and requested my name and phone number, assuring me someone would call later that day to set up an appointment. Nobody did.

A sucker for punishment, I called again this morning and was put on hold for about ten minutes while the receptionist went to "find" the person who could help me, which I didn't quite understand since the store is about the size of my garage so how hard is it to find someone? Finally she returned and said someone would call me back but could she have my contact information since she couldn't find any record of me in their system. I said that was alarming since I had given it three times already. I then said goodbye.

Ten minutes later a man from the carpet store called and said they were very busy, had all the work they needed, and suggested that if I was "already upset going out of the gate," maybe I should go elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Challenge to Katie Couric

Perky though she may be, or may have been in her younger days when she was paid to be, Katie Couric is no brainiac. Calling half of America ...