Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Messed Up, But Nice Nails

Admit it: Everywhere you look these days, things are messed up. In addition to Donald Trump leading in the Republican polls despite having the most "unfavorables," and Hillary Clinton leading among Democrats even though 60% of them find her "untrustworthy," I read about a nail polish manufacturer named Julep that earned $20 million last year. Or it might have been billion, I always get those two confused. The point is, you get my point. Nails are big business.

Refugees swarm the borders, people are hungry the world over, entire families are sleeping in their cars, random gun violence is up, and still women (and some men) are spending upwards of $14 a bottle for nail polish, and much more than that for professional manicures so they don't have to put the stuff on themselves. Pedicures are also rampant, which I find even more insulting. Your feet are utilitarian tools for walking and usually covered most of the time; must their tiny, little nails sport bright colors? To what end? Apparently, to be photographed for foot selfies that end up on Facebook.

So, feeling out of the loop, last week I gave myself a manicure using a bottle of nail polish I got at the CVS for $2.99. The color is called "Nervosa." (It spoke to me.) And here I am ten days later and it's all chipped. I haven't removed it yet because that nail polish remover smells so bad, so before I do I took a couple of my own selfies. Shown above is one of my right hand.


1 comment:

  1. nice color, put it back on !
    funny how "nervosa" spoke to you . . .

    ReplyDelete

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...