Sunday, September 6, 2015

Keep Searching

Class photo.
Many people spend a lot of their time wondering about their purpose, asking themselves questions like, "Why am I here?" and "What should I do with my life?" While I admire those people and respect their desire to find their life's true calling, I have no such mechanism driving me. I honestly and truly just want to have a nice day, not suffer, cause no suffering, help those who are suffering, and somehow get through this minefield called Life without getting blown to bits or really fat.

I can't help it, that's all I've got. I'm not stupid by any means, but I have always believed that we are here "just because" and that we're all one organism. I am a blade of grass in a giant lawn, like maybe an 18,000-hole golf course. Each blade has no purpose beyond remaining healthy and green and being the best blade of grass it can be. Its death matters little to the overall look and purpose of the lawn. The lawn is jeopardized only by the death of many, many blades of grass, like those 230,000 people in the 2004 Indonesian tsunami or the 316,000 lost in the 2010 Haiti earthquake, or what's happening in our backyard right now. (It's not pretty.)

But to all those on the quest, I envy you, applaud your mission and am happy to offer you water on your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...