Monday, September 14, 2015

Beware of Facebook

Last night I deleted my Facebook accounts, seeing them as drains on my already naturally shrinking brain cells. My remaining life is too short, at least if I die of natural causes, to fritter it away with that bullshit. But "deactivating" one's account is easier said than done.

This morning when I opened the lid of my laptop computer to check for any email at my AOL account, a message popped up square in the middle of the screen urging me to enter my Facebook password into my computer's System Preferences. I clicked "cancel" and it popped up again. I had to click "cancel"  five more times before the message disappeared. Half an hour later the very same thing happened when I logged back on to visit another website. It continues to happen each time; I can only wonder for how long.

The fact that Facebook has the tools and power to harass me while I attempt do other things on my computer is  outrageous, scary, alarming, insidious and a royal pain in the butt. We should all be on the lookout for who and what is really behind that website, and why they make it so hard to leave.

2 comments:

  1. Aw! I liked seeing your posts and pictures on Facebook!

    --Tedinski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ted! But I will be doing more with this blog to compensate, adding my own photos and other things, so be sure to stay tuned right here! :)

      Delete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...