Monday, August 31, 2015

Free Mindfulness Lesson


All we have is now. Recognizing this age-old truth is very "in" these days, and means you are being mindful. Paying attention to the moment you are currently inhabiting is the only decent way to live, lest your life is squandered in a trance. You must wake up from the trance! There are courses on how to achieve this most desired state of being, but I am happy to teach you how right here, and at no charge. It's easy.

For example, right now I am writing this blog post. As my fingers move nimbly over the keys, I am happy not only to have fingers but also keys on a computer for them to move over. I am also happy for the nimbleness of the fingers.  My nose just itched and I used one of those same fingers to scratch it.  I think it was the index finger on my right hand, I should know but for a minute my thoughts strayed ahead to my next sentence. That is bad. That will not happen again. I must be mindful.

I could mention the lunch I just finished eating but that's all in the past. All we have is now, and now I am writing. It is warm in the room where I'm sitting, almost too warm. I could either change my shirt or perhaps turn on a fan, but those activities are in the future so I won't digress. There is only now and I am being mindful and I am typing. I feel good, except for the being too warm. But wait -- I just felt a slight breeze wafting into the window next to me. It was delicious. If my husband were here he would sigh and say, dejectedly, "See, winter is setting in." But he isn't here. He was here earlier but he left for Chicago this morning, and that's in the past. All we have is now.

I'm almost done here and don't know what's next, but that's in the future. Now is all we have. You're in it too if you've read this far. Soon you will move on and do something else, but don't think of that yet. Just be here now.

And there you have it!

4 comments:

  1. Guess what, the past and present and future are all NOW! That is what I have come to understand. All time, all life, all things, all ONE. See you tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are coming tomorrow night and I would be excited about it if it weren't in the future, but I will be excited when it is the now! xxxxxxxx See you in the future!

      Delete
  2. This is superb ... Really captures it -- in real time haha --- very cool / instructive / RIGHT

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...