Saturday, August 1, 2015

Cecil and the Dead Babies

A memorial for Cecil, none for the dead babies.
I am only human and thus have limited bandwidth in my brain, so I can only follow just so many news stories and no more. One that I have missed, intentionally because I hate anything to do with cruelty towards animals, concerns Cecil the lion who was killed by an American hunter in Africa last week. I had successfully shielded myself from this tragic story until last night, when my husband and I had dinner at a new restaurant nearby and sat in the bar area where two TVs were on. One was playing old music videos, loudly, and the other was tuned to CNN and was muted.

Despite eating my food and enjoying seeing Eric Clapton when he was younger and better-looking, I managed to get the story of Cecil from the incessant crawl underneath photos of his orphaned cubs (where is the mother?) and a distraught Anderson Cooper wearing his fretful look. So in spite of myself now I know it all: The dentist, the $55,000 bribe for a hunting license, the decapitation, the outrage. All I can say is, where is the outrage about the dead baby parts being sold by Planned Parenthood?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Believe In Yesterday

This morning I spent some time reading my old blog posts. Much to my amazement, they were much funnier than the ones I have been writing rec...