Sunday, August 9, 2015

Blood Wars

The Accused
I like to watch reruns of random sitcoms on TV. I'm not proud, but it's better than using cocaine to achieve half an hour of feeling good, or so I tell myself. One of the shows I find to be consistently funny is called "Modern Family." It has won about a million Emmy awards for its writers, actors and producers, all well-deserved.

One episode I watched recently had to do with the three women in the family, a mom and her teenage daughters, all having their periods at the same time. Much hilarity ensues as each of the menstruating trio exhibits the symptoms of PMS, becoming hysterical, crying and acting irrationally at the slightest provocation, much to the dismay of the father and son in the family. Yet nobody seems to have taken issue with that story line, finding it offensive or out of line.

The Accuser
Now along comes Donald Trump, an admitted foot-in-mouth kind of guy, insinuating that a female news anchor might have been menstruating at the time she asked him several quite mean-spirited questions during the recent televised Republican political debate. Now everyone is simply aghast, as if he had advocated the murdering of babies or maybe the selling of unborn fetal parts. Double standards abound. I am neither for nor against -- just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...