Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Pretend to Think Spring!

Several weeks ago I ran into a married couple I particularly despise.  There was a time when I pretended to like them for business reasons, but it was always an act. Still, in a civilized society acting is commonplace, and so even though our business ties were severed long ago, I did the polite thing and said hello. To my shock and awe they froze me out, with the wife saying coldly, "You and I have nothing to say to one another." I was stunned, mostly because it was the first time I had ever known her to be right about anything. I walked away, relieved to not have to put on a charade and impressed that she had the chutzpah to say what she did.

If only people were honest about their feelings all the time, life would be so much easier. Instead, pretense is the rule of the day. For example, I could use this forum to write about how I can barely crawl this morning because I walked so much when I was in Manhattan last weekend that I seem to have blown out my knee and can hardly hobble over to the freezer to get a new ice pack. But I won't because that's boring and somewhat of a bummer. Instead I will say that it's a glorious day here in southern Maine, with flowers finally blooming and the sun shining and balmy breezes blowing. Birds are singing, bees pollinating. What a great day to be alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...